Monday 11 July 2011

Dreams in Clay

I wrote this poem around the time of Remembrance Day for school. We had to write war poems but I wanted to make mine slightly different. Usually they are written about the old wars so I wrote it on one we are fighting now in Afghanistan. I also wanted to express the more unusual emotions you’d feel when losing someone.

It is about a woman who loses her lover, and as a result goes slightly mad. She misses him intensely and doesn’t know how to show it so expresses it in slightly childish ways.

Within the poem, I particularly like the imagery of the clay figures because they are fragile and can be easily broken, the way she feels. They are generally something a child would take up, to make figures and create scenes. It is the imagery that I think perfectly expresses the emotions in her mind.

I described these emotions because whenever we describe the emotions of losing someone they are always to cry, to become introverted etc. However, these aren’t the only feelings one would experience and the woman in the poem feels more complex, complicated ones that torture from within. Maybe many people feel them, maybe they don’t; this is my interpretation of a different type of grief.

I also wanted to look at war and loss through a different angle. This is why the poem is slightly disjointed and written in a very simplistic way as it’s the way her mind was working. It shows the damage that war can do, not just to the people fighting, but those left at home.


Dreams in Clay

Hold my hand
Then let it go
Kiss my lips
And forget me.

There’s a wind that blows
It comes once a year
In its flow there’s a touch of winter and autumn
Why do I know this?

I’ve acquired the habit of making tea
Place a teabag in a mug
Add boiling water
And watch the colour change
Then add milk or sugar
Everyone knows how to make tea
But my mind is like a child's without you

There’s a path that wanders through a wood
It carries on for miles
Then stops
You have no option but to turn back
I still walk along it twice a day
I wonder why
I know why
But I won’t tell myself

I’ve acquired the habit of crafts
I make tiny men
Out of clay
Then dress them in hand-stitched garments
Create scenes from cardboard
Then I act out plays
I laugh with myself
Pretend I’m laughing with you


There’s one, it’s my favourite
There’s a couple
They are strolling through a wood
On a path they’ve travelled before
When it stops
He stops; the man
He turns his small grey body
And whispers:

‘Hold my hand
Then let it go
Kiss my lips
And forget me.’
The girl does not understand what he is saying
But his eyes make her cry.

Do you remember that scene?
It was our last together
And on that day it was raining
I don’t know why I remember the rain
You left me
You walked away
You never came back
Lost on the empty plains of Afghanistan

Hold my hand
Then let it go
Kiss my lips
And forget me

I will never forget you
But this is the last poem
I will write for you
I held your hand
Now I let it go.


Minnie Moo


No comments:

Post a Comment